mishkoff
Heimin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:16 am

Hi All,

what do you think about rumored 5-coster for us:

Unicorn 5 cost. Dynasty Character. #111
6/2/1
Bushi. Cavalry.

Action: While this character is participating in a conflict, choose a participating character with equal or lower Military skill than this character - move that character home. (Limit twice per round).

I think this is crazy good and finally some powerhouse dude. The fact we finally get access to some feint tactics makes it even stronger. I hope that this personality is true :)

Utaku_Yamada
Nikutai

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I have heard this is Moto Juro. I think I’ll have three of him thanks!

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:36 pm

I saw this rumor on the FFG Forums. I'm wary about the validity of this card based on the previous Unicorn cards we've received so far this cycle but if it proves to be true then I'm all in!

Honestly this card will outshine Altansarnai in most Military builds and gives us the true Champion level character we've all been waiting for.

The glory does seem too low for a Battle Maiden like Kamoko though she has featured in two fictions thus far (seems likely that she'd make an appearance in card form too). Who knows whether it's her or Juro? I guess it doesn't really matter if the card's good right?
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

mishkoff
Heimin

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Well it is Moto Juro - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... o-secrets/ - definitely weaker than rumored, but still a personality that seems decent.

Erukai
Hohei

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Another character without a proactive action...

veknus
Hohei

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 am

Yep like we need more characters that can move in our out, at this point you might as well just keep using Altan. Why do ffg intend to make unicorn cards actively bad....moving in and out is average if you can't follow through with the swing.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm

I would try not to be so disappointed. Juro is good, not as good as he was rumored to be (because a character with a built in Rout + Child of the Plains would've been great), but he's still a step in the right direction.

Does he replace Altansarnai outright? No, it will depend on the way you build your deck in my opinion.

Boasting 2 higher Political skill at the same price point lets Zelda edge out Juro but his ability is hands down more powerful in most situations.

While Zelda shines in games against Crab, Dragon, and opponents foolish enough to have only 2 characters in play during the conflict phase (especially when one or both of them cost 2 or less), Juro's maneuverability can be used virtually every turn and puts pressure on your opponent to find an answer to him.

I agree that he falls short of the Champions but he certainly isn't weak and definitely in line with some of the other 5 cost characters from the Imperial Cycle. You also have to keep in mind that Juro, Zelda, Ujiaki, and Toturi are the only 5 cost characters in the game that can be brought back from the dead.

When the next set releases on Thursday my current build will be running 2x Moto Horde, 2x Moto Juro, and 2x Shinjo Altansarnai before I even consider benching Zelda.

Erukai
Hohei

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. While in a vacuum he would be a legitimately decent card, given the current environment and unicorn's place in it I think the needless redundancy of his ability points at best in a lateral direction as opposed to the right one(which is effectively bad when your clan is one of if not the weakest). If our characters were the most cost efficient in terms of stats, i could live with “big dumb force” and non proactive actions like move/ready to keep it there. But they aren’t. Even with guys like moto horde, unicorn are only the third most efficient at military per fate(just a sliver better than dragon). They're 6th out of 7 in both political and overall. once you factor proactive actions and their ability to affect mil/pol totals via conflict actions and we drop way below the basement. Plainly put we pay more than just about everyone, for a character base which does almost nothing to recoup its value.

If we had a killer suite of conflict events to make up for it? I'd buy in. But once you get past cav reserves the list is awfully thin at best.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Erukai wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:04 pm
I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. While in a vacuum he would be a legitimately decent card, given the current environment and unicorn's place in it I think the needless redundancy of his ability points at best in a lateral direction as opposed to the right one (which is effectively bad when your clan is one of if not the weakest)...

If we had a killer suite of conflict events to make up for it? I'd buy in. But once you get past cav reserves the list is awfully thin at best.
All fair points for sure. I can't make you like the card but I do think that lateral card design should be the goal. However if you design cards lateral in power to each other for a faction that is already behind the curve while the other factions play on a different level is a different story.

I would definitely like to see more proactive actions on Unicorn characters as it's something that we distinctly lack at the moment. Though at the same time I'm not willing to overlook a card that (to me) has inherent strength to it in comparison to the cards we have available. I'm just trying to play to the best of my ability with the hand we've been dealt. There's no other option if you're going to continue play Unicorn and while frustrating at times it's definitely made me a better player.

Currently there isn't a player or deck in my local meta (16 - 24+ players per event/tournament) that I can't/haven't beat, but I've had to work for every victory.

Our next rumored card doesn't have a proactive action either but has the potential to generate additional fate for us during the dynasty phase. I won't shy away from trying it out if it's real. I actually think it's pretty good:

Unicorn Dynasty Character
2 cost. 2/1/1
Bushi. Cavalry. Scout.
Reaction: After you gain fate for passing in the dynasty phase - gain 1 fate.

It has the exact cost and keywords I was looking for in our next dynasty character.

Ide Leenath
Ashigaru

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am

Yo!
I try to love Juro. I WILL love Juro. Juro is life:) Juro for president :)
Well I was hoping for Kamoko. But he is not that bad. We will need to build a deck around him,thats for sure. He is the first step in the right direction imo.
In some deck types he will be pretty valuable. Eg: Im playing a dishonor Crab. In that enviroment Juro is pretty handy: He can carry a Spyglass,Watch commmander etc around pretty easily (Watch commander in every conflict is pretty neat combined with Before the throne and the new event).
Milan Terek, proud Unicorn from Hungary
Swift as the wind :)

Tournament results:
Launch event 3-3
National league 1st round 4-2 5th
National league 2nd round 3-2 6th

• Information