Let's talk Tactics!

This is a moderated discussion for forum for more in depth topics related to the CCG.

Moderators: Shinjo Dalu, Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Magistrates

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:41 am

Yo! Long time no talk right?

It's been ages since I've posted here but I figured with the Kotei in Atlanta coming up in a little less than a month for now it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to my brothers and sisters here on the forum about the current meta and the state of our clan. Though I've gotta admit, based on the activity here it really feels like we've been scattered to the four winds. So if anyone reads and drops a comment thanks in advance for reading/replying!

So with formalities out of the way, where do we even begin? I guess we can start by organizing the great clans into a tier list and their most popular archetypes respectively. Then from there we can analyze each match-up as it relates to playing Unicorn into it.

After giving it some thought here's what I got:

Tier 1
1 - Scorpion (Dragon Influence)
2 - Crane (Scorpion Influence)
3 - Phoenix (Unicorn, Dragon, or Scorpion Influence)

Tier 2
4 - Dragon (Crab Influence)
5 - Lion (Dragon or Crane Influence)
5 - Crab (Unicorn or Dragon Influence)

Tier 3
6 - Unicorn (Anything Goes)

I'll follow up this post as early as tomorrow evening to elaborate on my thoughts but for now I've gotta get some sleep. Hopefully I'll get to talk to you guys soon. Later!
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Okay... Apparently I was really sleepy because it took me a while to get back to this. My apologies to anyone reading this. After a lot of reading, listening to podcasts, and research of my own I have a revised tier list (Pre-Restricted List):

Tier 1
1 - Scorpion (Dragon Influence)
2 - Phoenix (Dragon Influence)

Borderline
3 - Dragon (Crab Influence)
4 - Crane (Scorpion Influence)
4 - Crab (Unicorn Influence)

Tier 2
5 - Lion (Dragon or Scorpion Influence)

Tier 3
6 - Unicorn (Anything Goes)

Naturally this list will shift around after the 29th of this month however I don't imagine that things will change drastically. However, now that we have the new restricted list I'd like to make a prediction as to where the clans will fall before the Elemental Cycle begins:

Tier 1
1 - Scorpion (Dragon/Crab/Unicorn Influence)
2 - Phoenix (Dragon/Unicorn Influence)

Borderline
3 - Crab (Unicorn Influence)
3 - Crane (Scorpion/Dragon/Lion Influence)

Tier 2
4 - Dragon (Crab or Unicorn Influence)
5 - Lion (Crane/Dragon/Unicorn Influence)
5 - Unicorn (*Anything Goes)

*While Unicorn can still make the most out of practically any splash, with For Greater Glory and Forged Edict on the Restricted list, the viability of these two options for influence lose a considerable amount of power. That isn't to say that these two cards are the only worth splashing out of their respective clans.

So... What do you think? While the list isn't too far off from where it began there are some significant changes to note. This time around I plan to return next week after the Kotei in Atlanta and share my thoughts about the new Restricted List meta and what I would like to see out of the Elemental Cycle and future expansion packs.

Until then!
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 am

Since the RL has come out I moved to crab and it has worked out very well. Also I need to see a good Phoenix list as I've owned the locals with both Pony and Crab.

Also as of late I've been very impressed with Scorp/ Lion Splash as it uses the power to avoid defensive tricks and win small conflics.
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

• Information