2nd Place OK Tactician Decklist

The place to post your new ideas for decks or decks you have been working on for competitive play that have not seen play in large tournament.

Moderators: Shinjo Dalu, Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Magistrates

MotoKCi
White Guard

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

Finally got around to the decklist, this is the version i took to the Name an Item tourney, a number of changes from my last version.

Outsider Keep 40/40
Bamboo Harvester/Border Keep Exp

DYNASTY

1 Saibankan's Justice - This had consistently outperformed Shinjo's Guidance for me, great against many types of decks
1 Daikoku's Guidance
1 Jimen's Decree - This is to counter cards like Census and On all Sides, and occasionally annoy the opponent who plays proactive event that helps them

3 Colonial Harbor - One of my more successful strategy is buy this early against military decks, and play defense, rarely loses from having extra card, +1F blanket and the first action.
2 The Blessed Herd - Cannot flood too many expensive holdings, so i had to cut 1 blessed because i prefer Colonial
3 Stables
2 Ageless Shrine - This took the place of Wooden Barricade, again, consistently better for me, also defends better and abuse colonial harbor better
3 War encampment - getting this in the first turn and a 7 gold tactician is blitz option
1 Traveling Peddler

1 The Dark Naga (He win games for me, ageless shrine works well with him, more gold and anti-death)
1 Tamago
1 Moto Chen (Exp 3)
1 Utaku Fujiko (Exp)
1 Utaku Tairu (Exp)
1 Moto Choon-yei
1 Shinjo Liu Ying
3 Utaku Byung (Blitz)
3 Utaku Tairu (Blitz)
3 Shinjo Hwarang
3 Shinjo Junpei (Blitz)
3 Utaku Ji-Yun - She haven been a factor for me, but most of the items are 3 force, and 5+3=8 is nice.

FATE

3 Dependable Gear (Blitz) - One of the few low focus cards to make the cut, awesomeness
1 Heavenly Lance - Good for blitz and also unbow the cav guy who lobbies for favor
2 RSB - Intentional call, did not want to create too many expensive units for pkill bait, good for the early cav guys
1 Armor of the Ryu - So many infantry, this item is an autoinclude
1 Hunger - Great for province taking early, good with Blessed Herds
1 Chagatai's Armor - Awesome middle/late game card
1 Moto Kang's Sword - Didn't do much for me in the tourney, but i'd still play it

3 The Cost of Pride - This card is just plain good with attachments, very versatile
3 Heart of Darkness- TEST THIS CARD, IT IS AWESOME, this won me many many battles, 4 focus makes this autoinclude for me.
2 Scouting Far Afield - Game winner card, but definately not a 3 of card, useless early game
2 Entranced Position - This is actually one of the best bow cards around, u just need presence, 4 focus
3 JEV - Staple still
3 Thorough Preparations - Staple
2 Superior Mobility - I cut one because of the lower focus
2 A Yojimbo's Duty - I am seriously considering one more of this over Superior Mobility, better focus, and i find i don't tend to like sending opponent home anymore, with cards like Inexorable and guided by honor being rampant.
3 Inexorable Defeat
1 A Game of Dice - autoinclude
1 Creating Order - autoinclude
1 Ultimate Sacrifice - mainly there for the 4 focus, occasionally kills something to remove presence, usually thrown for 4 force
3 Forging the Destiny - I probably went overboard with event hate, but in the whole tourney, no event ever gave me grief, if your environment does not have a lot of boxable hate, you can play something else

1 Ring of Water
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Moto Jahk-Fwah
White Guard

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm

thanks for posting... I'm gonna try it out :)

kempy
Ji-Samurai

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:03 am

I like this deck - just replaced Forging Destiny with Shatter the Line and i'm happy with it. My win ratio is something about 7-0 at the moment (against PoV monk, SPC tactician and FF kensai). Have to try against some T1 decks but all my playgroup is tired of playing them and experiment with some janky ideas. ;)
Ratling • Nonhuman • One Tribe • Cavalry • Nametaker

Pablo Rojo
White Guard

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 am

Hi there,

No crane, control mantos decks in your environment, right?

I'm missing few meta cards vs one of the strongest decks at the moment, at least 3 OAS could be IN.

Here you've some potential changes in my mind:

- Shinjo's Guidance over Saibankan
- Saibakan over Daikoku's
- 2 Colonial Harbor and come back to 3 Blessed, Blessed is HOT and better than Colonial in gold scheme terms, produce 5G for 6G hurts.
- Wooden Barricades over Ageless always!
- The Dark Naga... Personal Choice but Hwarang exp. fit better in that slot.
- Tamago... Personal Choice but remember that 0HR will hurt you in the worse moment, personal experience. Moto Jin-Sahn or Utagawa exp2. are better choices for me, even Paneki's Disgrace... If you're not afraid of HR, Kuronada exp2 is HOT too.
- 3x Utaku Ji-Yun???

Fate deck is pretty solid vs military decks but what about control or honour decks?

Try to fit the followings cards IN and you'll have a solid deck vs in the current environment:

- Ring of Air
- OAS
- Sneak?
- Shatter the Line
- Shameful and Cowardly

I probably cut cards like:

- 1x Scouting Far Afield
- 2x Superior Mobility
- 1x Forging the Destiny
- 1x JEV (as you said before, sending home unbowed it's not cool and 2 JEV + Creating order is enough Force Reduction meta)

My two cents.

Gratz for your 2nd place and stay fighting there ;)
HuraKHAN, KHAN, KHAN!

MotoKCi
White Guard

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:52 pm

The Emperor had spoken! I apologize for not replying sooner!

Yes, you are right, Crane was not dominant in my environment, if not i would indeed put the 3 OAS over forging (which was indeed one of the more questionable card choices, and did not do much for me in the tourney).

I had been a big big fan of Wooden Barricades for much of the arc, and i dont remember ever regretting playing it, with Daikoku's, it's even better because it's the only thing for me that works when bowed (and colonial to a lesser extent), but a LSC deck had forced me to play ageless shrine, too much limited control bowing, Ageless is one of the few cards that can help against duel of Haiku, also, Ageless is very good on the defence with colonial, so i will say that both choices are legit, but i'd prefer Ageless at this point.

I find Saibankan to be better than Shinjo (on average, this gives me better return stopping opponent getting favor, and i rarely get the +1F bonus often enough for it to count).

Colonial/Blessed mix is indeed debatable, due to my prolific amount of 7G peeps, i do not suffer (too much) by having blessed herd less consistently, but i find the card draw from early defence can win games, more so than putting out a Hwarang over a 7G tactician that can draw me a card on defence with colonial.

There aren't many cards that loses me honor, so 0PH haven been a problem, Tamago is really there for lategame, if i suspect opponent have decent amount of pkill, DO NOT BUY HIM! Tamago again is awesome on the defence with colonial to draw a card and you have an Entrenched position in had, you know something will DIE. But don't ever buy him early, it is asking for pkill.

Yes, i second your opinion that Ji-Yun SUCKS, but there exist nothing better than her prior to SC for this deck, she's not as terrible as she appear, because, she is 5+3 = 8 force for the early province (all the attachments are +3F), but she's the weakest peep in the chain, and you can replace with another set of battle action guy.

Sneak is out due to Entrenced
Ring of Air probably have a spot
OAS for honor matchups for sure (lack of that in my environment in the highest level)
Shameful i never liked due to the occasional random JEV, and honor haven been a problem so the dishonor does not help as much, although this had won me a game against Lion before because he cannot blow up dishonorable peep to Akodo's Guidance.
Shatter the Line i discounted it as a bad card, but clearly, i was wrong if you'd consider it!
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

Best sportsman 2007

Coopernicus
Gunso

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:32 am

I personally think Shatter the Line is too restrictive. It requires an unbowed tactician and costs 4G (-1G for each tactician, but they often go alone). Sundering Strike would probably be better as far as an attachment hate card. It has a completely optional gold cost and works even if all of your personalities are bowed. Shatter the Line is terrible in the early game and it isn't ever a card you want to have multiples of in hand. It can also screw up your gold scheme.

I like Colonial Harbor a lot. The mix of Blessed to Colonial is one of odd balance. I'd probably just play 3x of each but if 5x big gold holdings is enough then I'd take the 3x Colonial Harbor.

I like both Wooden Barricade and Ageless. Ji-Yun is an under performer and Hwarang can't hit 8F with a +3F attachment, so you could just drop one of each of them and throw in 2x Wooden Barricade.

Why would you play Ring of Air when you could just play the 3rd Yojimbo's Duty? Ring of Air is strictly inferior with the only benefit being if you get to draw it for free when someone plays Wisdom Gained.
2012 Fort Mill, SC Kotei Winner

MotoKCi
White Guard

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Some very good points, i was thinking about the same about shatter the line (being restrictive), but in all honesty, i had not tried it for this deck, so it may be a good fit.

I used to run more send homes (and Sundering Strike being a key send home), but i haven been liking send homes around end of arc, mainly due to the prevalance of movement cards, every clan can run 2-3 sets of movement cards if they wished, so sending them home often does little unless you have 3-4 sets of them. The situation was also made worse when everybody and their dog start running inexorable defeats, and paragon decks running guilded by honors.

Yes, i do prefer Colonial over Blessed Herd (just because of the sheer number of 7G we can field end of arc). Hwarang is still not bad, i primarily use him as unbow tech in battle (or bow, but i end up saving him for unbows more times than not).

A Yojimbo's Duty is indeed amazing, i am seriously thinking of dropping a Superior Mobility for the 3rd copy, because the extra action is more valuable than the potential send home more times than not. In a Crab deck, it's a no brainer, because you can do A Yojimbo's Duty and then Hida's Guidance, made of pure win.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

Best sportsman 2007

Pablo Rojo
White Guard

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am

MotoKCi wrote:The Emperor had spoken! I apologize for not replying sooner!

Yes, you are right, Crane was not dominant in my environment, if not i would indeed put the 3 OAS over forging (which was indeed one of the more questionable card choices, and did not do much for me in the tourney).

- Try to build balanced decks always, probably you can read your environment correctly but if you pretend to go to a big event you should include at least those 3x OAS. With 3x OAS this deck has more than 70% vs honour decks.

I had been a big big fan of Wooden Barricades for much of the arc, and i dont remember ever regretting playing it, with Daikoku's, it's even better because it's the only thing for me that works when bowed (and colonial to a lesser extent), but a LSC deck had forced me to play ageless shrine, too much limited control bowing, Ageless is one of the few cards that can help against duel of Haiku, also, Ageless is very good on the defence with colonial, so i will say that both choices are legit, but i'd prefer Ageless at this point.

- Preferences are like colours ;)

I find Saibankan to be better than Shinjo (on average, this gives me better return stopping opponent getting favor, and i rarely get the +1F bonus often enough for it to count).

- Redirection is HOT in this environment, more if you don't play Sneak Attack. +1F bonus gave me lot of games, I still think it's a vastly underrated Guidance.

Colonial/Blessed mix is indeed debatable, due to my prolific amount of 7G peeps, i do not suffer (too much) by having blessed herd less consistently, but i find the card draw from early defence can win games, more so than putting out a Hwarang over a 7G tactician that can draw me a card on defence with colonial.

- For me, gold scheme is more crucial than card draw. Even more if you're playing BK exp and Outsider Keep.

There aren't many cards that loses me honor, so 0PH haven been a problem, Tamago is really there for lategame, if i suspect opponent have decent amount of pkill, DO NOT BUY HIM! Tamago again is awesome on the defence with colonial to draw a card and you have an Entrenched position in had, you know something will DIE. But don't ever buy him early, it is asking for pkill.

- To be honest I was thinking in cards like Taxing the Scum or Scorpion Dishonor decks. Without Border Keep in late game one more or less peep could be the difference between Victory or Lose. I'm not playing any non-Unicorn with honor requirement.

Yes, i second your opinion that Ji-Yun SUCKS, but there exist nothing better than her prior to SC for this deck, she's not as terrible as she appear, because, she is 5+3 = 8 force for the early province (all the attachments are +3F), but she's the weakest peep in the chain, and you can replace with another set of battle action guy.

Sneak is out due to Entrenced
Ring of Air probably have a spot
OAS for honor matchups for sure (lack of that in my environment in the highest level) - Remember Tamago bowing entire units ;)
Shameful i never liked due to the occasional random JEV, and honor haven been a problem so the dishonor does not help as much, although this had won me a game against Lion before because he cannot blow up dishonorable peep to Akodo's Guidance.
Shatter the Line i discounted it as a bad card, but clearly, i was wrong if you'd consider it!
I luv Shatter the Line - Probably you'll play it for 2G.

Take care!
HuraKHAN, KHAN, KHAN!

Pablo Rojo
White Guard

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am

Coopernicus wrote:I personally think Shatter the Line is too restrictive. It requires an unbowed tactician and costs 4G (-1G for each tactician, but they often go alone). Sundering Strike would probably be better as far as an attachment hate card. It has a completely optional gold cost and works even if all of your personalities are bowed. Shatter the Line is terrible in the early game and it isn't ever a card you want to have multiples of in hand. It can also screw up your gold scheme.

I dont understand how Sundering is better than Shatter the line. Playing 12-13 Tacticians the gold cost not's a big deal in my experience, if you prefer send home for free over kill a peep paying 0-4G... I think that this deck has one of the best suite of cards to deal with attachments and/or guys. If you can deal with attachments easily enough (IE a deck running Wyrmbone/Cursed Relic), then you have multiple repeatable actions that wreck military decks days. I feel like if there's a military deck that can shore up its matches vs. the field enough, it's this or Battle Maidens. But seems like you defend more than me vs military decks

I like Colonial Harbor a lot. The mix of Blessed to Colonial is one of odd balance. I'd probably just play 3x of each but if 5x big gold holdings is enough then I'd take the 3x Colonial Harbor.

Actually I'm playing 3x Blessed and 1x Colonial but again seems like you defend often than me. I always keep my SH unbowed before my Attack Phase. If you compare Blessed vs Colonial in Unicorn you've many different reasons to play Blessed over Colonial, play 3x Colonial (non-cumulative ongoing ability) to have at least one in play not's a great choice for me.

I like both Wooden Barricade and Ageless. Ji-Yun is an under performer and Hwarang can't hit 8F with a +3F attachment, so you could just drop one of each of them and throw in 2x Wooden Barricade.

Why would you play Ring of Air when you could just play the 3rd Yojimbo's Duty? Ring of Air is strictly inferior with the only benefit being if you get to draw it for free when someone plays Wisdom Gained.
4 Focus Value and I supposed that he was playing the third Yojimbo's now. I recommend 3x Yojimbo's, 1x Ring of Air and 1x DNTYB!
HuraKHAN, KHAN, KHAN!

MotoKCi
White Guard

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks for more input, in the current environment, i don't think you can ever have enough unbow. So it's not out of the question to run more (like RoA and dntyb), particularly when the heart of this deck is Tairu, which means he'd be showing up at most battles, so an unbow is never useless, and if the opponent sends home, then i'll still have my forces intact. One warning is to be very wary of Heart of Darkness being played on you, the only defence is Inexorables, in short, do not use Inexorables to move in unless you think the lockdown will win you the battle (or if you are desperate), so save it for Heart of Darkness if you suspect opponents run them too.

I tend to save the cost of pride for the unbow (and in the off chance that i can reduce a lethal range attack), so this deck already runs quite a bit of it.

Shatter the line is indeed very strong because that is one of my most hated card to be played against me, it's indeed worthy addition particularly now the environment is attachment heavy.

If i had learned anything particularly valuable in my playtesting, it is that Saibankan Justice is very powerful for marginal or lower starting honor clans. I actually play it over Hida's Guidance in my Crab deck, and most people put Hida Guidance as one of the top 3 guidance. If you face Crane/Lion/Dragon/Phoenix/Mirror, Saibankan is made of pure win, they will lose 3-4 use of the favor easily if you get it early enough, the payoff is even bigger than from the SH for the entire game often. I will continue to play Saibankan for a looooonnggg loooooooonnng time because it is EE legal.

Now that we have seen the EE SH, the tactician deck will obviously change significantly if i am to try to run a variant from Khan's Estate come EE.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

Best sportsman 2007

evilmerlin
White Guard

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 am

Ever considered "Consideration"? Bloody good card that.

Coopernicus
Gunso

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:25 am

evilmerlin wrote:Ever considered "Consideration"? Bloody good card that.
How did I miss this one? I love this card.

MotoKCi
White Guard

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 pm

I considered it, but after much consideration, i thought it was a little too conditional. :D

Certainly worth playtesting.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

Best sportsman 2007

evilmerlin
White Guard

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:15 am

I am using it in my deck and I think its a great card. Two of those and two boxable tacts usually means I take two provinces that turn.

Utaku Hidaki
White Guard

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:02 am

In a control heavy environment, Consideration is a very strong card if you run the personality base to make it work. It protects a big unit with follower/item, it allows you to attack into defenders with a single attacker without Sneak in hand, but most importantly it allows you to protect a personality during your Limited phase to make it more costly to your opponent to prevent them from attacking. It is more or less my answer for Duel of Haiku in my blitz build.
Ralph Tropeano * Straw Dog * Taskmaster * Team Whiplash * The Nicest Guy in L5R

Coopernicus
Gunso

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 am

+3F and requires them to waste 2 cards to control someone. Doesn't even use up your Tactician action for the turn.

Iuchi Finn
Nikutai

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

This card is a pain for many decks, in many situations.
It's really great to me.
Casual french player,
Iuchi Lixue's Fan.
Supporter of a pure and clean Unicorn Clan.
"Bushido and Meishodo"

• Information