20F Arc - A Matter of Honor (Min-Hee Sensei)

The place to post your new ideas for decks or decks you have been working on for competitive play that have not seen play in large tournament.

Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dalu, Shinjo Magistrates

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:12 pm

# Stronghold (1)
1 The Endless Plains of the Unicorn

# Sensei (1)
1 Min-Hee Sensei

# Dynasty (40)

# Holding (19)
2 Famous Bazaar (Dynasty speed edges out resistance against fear)
1 Forgotten Legacy
2 Forward Encampment (Recovers followers, combos well with Legion of the Khan and Shiotome Troupe)
2 Secluded Outpost (4 gold for an attachment heavy deck, equips Shiotome Troupe for free)
3 Shrine to Hachiman (Straightens followers used for Superior Assault/Defense)
3 Stables
3 Temple of the Heavenly Crab
3 The Ivory Courtroom

# Personality (21)
1 Moto Naleesh, the Living Goddess - exp (Enters play faster with the increase to starting HR)
1 Moto Taigo, Shogun - exp2
3 Moto Yao-tsu
1 Otaku Kamoko, Seven Thunder - exp2CW (Just as fast as Naleesh though still expensive)
3 Shinjo Saeki (Decent action and good PH)
3 Shinjo Tsung-min (Commander and with consistent PH of 2-3 his force penalty is solid)
3 Utaku Kazue (Now within starting HR and has force penalty that gains honor)
3 Utaku Sakiko - exp (For 2 more gold she provides an action that accelerates your secondary win condition)
3 Utaku Yabusame (Commander and increases ranged threat and gains honor)

# Fate (44)

# Follower (15)
3 Junghar Regulars
3 Legion of the Khan
3 Shiotome Troupe (Gains honor entering play, in the combat segment, boosts PH, and provides a useful action)
3 The Thundering Death
3 Trained Horsemen

# Item (1)
1 Ancestral Armor of the Unicorn Clan - exp

# Ring (1)
1 Ring of Earth

# Strategy (27)
2 A New Alliance
2 Accessible Terrain
2 Courage Beyond Question
2 Brazen Disregard (Losing the maneuverability of Cavalry means you can't afford to be moved)
2 Ruby Ascendance
3 Spirited Dispute (The only answer to dueling other than Kamoko, Naleesh, or Taigo)
3 Standing Fast
2 Sudden Movement
2 Superior Assault (Strong action that gets better with Commander)
3 Superior Defense (Combos well with Min-Hee Sensei and also gets better with a Commander)
2 Victory Through Deference
2 Way of the Unicorn

After reviewing Evil Portents I decided to try my hand at Min-Hee Sensei since my current build transitions smoothly into it. Fighting opposed battles will take getting used to and should prove to be a challenge.

Even though it's not currently in the build I'm strongly considering Investigation.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Shinjo Dae-Hyun on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Commander • TacticianCavalryDestined

Shinjo Sousuke - Winter Court IV

Kotei Season 2015:
Top 8 Duluth, GA - Top of Clan
Top 8 Columbia, SC
Top 8 Richmond, VA
1st Place Matthews, NC

kempy
Ji-Samurai

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:30 pm

2 Discovering the Shakuhachi of Air? I think Ring of Air should replace one of them.
Ratling • Nonhuman • One Tribe • Cavalry • Nametaker

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:22 pm

kempy wrote:2 Discovering the Shakuhachi of Air? I think Ring of Air should replace one of them.
It's been a while since I've come back to this thread but there's only been minor changes to the deck.

In hindsight Ring of Air is probably the better choice but in playtest I found I wasn't using Shakuhachi of Air as often as I thought. Also with how prevalent A New Alliance is I wouldn't want Ring of Air being turned off on the turn it's needed.

Though in testing I've opted to replace Shakuhachi of Air with Brazen Disregard as Meta against Honor/Dishonor and to keep opposing military units at the battlefield. Winning an opposed battle at any point during the game is usually enough to switch to Honor and cross.

Thoughts? Have you or anyone else tried Min-Hee Sensei?

Kotei Season 2015:
Top 8 Columbia, SC
Top 8 Richmond, VA
1st Place Matthews, NC

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:21 pm

I've generally found it it a very strong car but yet not quite found a way to get enough high ph guys into a deck to make crossing a threat.

Im looking to test your build when I can get the gang together for some casual play
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Let me know how it goes! I'm interested to see how it performs since I haven't gotten to try the deck outside of my meta.

I'll be playing it this weekend at the Charlotte Kotei to see how Min-Hee stacks up against other decks.

Kotei Season 2015:
Top 8 Columbia, SC
Top 8 Richmond, VA
1st Place Matthews, NC

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:36 am

One thing I noticed .. there is not a lot of bail tech.

The reason I mention this is Moto Yao-tsu since his real value is when you bow run away and then move back.. so it negates his real usefulness and there are better peeps with that purpose in mind.

secluded build are there to make quick work of opponents with reserve/ destined combos. I'd want at least one more reserve guy to balance that threat

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Ide Yesugei wrote:One thing I noticed .. there is not a lot of bail tech.

The reason I mention this is Moto Yao-tsu since his real value is when you bow run away and then move back.. so it negates his real usefulness and there are better peeps with that purpose in mind.
No there isn't any at all aside from Way of the Unicorn; once you assign to attack with the deck you're committed to the battle. Sudden Movement is used to combo with the Stronghold or Accessible Terrain when needed and Min-Hee won't let you switch with an unopposed personality so we lose that as an option. Would you consider Discretionary Valor or Fall Back and if so what would you replace?

Yao-Tsu is really there as Honor/Dishonor meta as he works well with Accessible, though Chiwa is an alternative for the purpose of movement she lacks force and the Commander keyword. I also thought about Zhi-Tae however I feel as though he fights what the deck naturally wants to do.

Min-Hee removes Cavalry's flexibility so I went with the idea of a "Mobile Lion" approach. During each attack you assign enough force to threaten a province and leave your excess personalities at home (moving them in if necessary). I only ever split for multiple provinces when I have units that threaten by themselves and only in combinations of 2 and 1 or 2 and 2. Ideally your opponent chooses not to defend or commits at a single province at which point you move to oppose him with all attacking units. Winning a battle with 3-4 enemy cards remaining at the battlefield is usually enough to switch gears against Military and attempt to honor out.
Ide Yesugei wrote:Secluded build are there to make quick work of opponents with reserve/ destined combos. I'd want at least one more reserve guy to balance that threat
The only other reserve personalities available are Baatar, Hyo-Yeon, and Sakiko Exp. Out of the three of them I'd be inclined to exchange Sakiko Exp. for a personality of your choice. Saeki is my first thought but I have a soft spot for her since she's pretty efficient and a reliable personality to pair up with on the attack or on defense.

Kotei Season 2015:
Top 8 Columbia, SC
Top 8 Richmond, VA
1st Place Matthews, NC

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:02 pm

I'd start by looking at Moto jenzan... commander check adds resilient check gives cav followers honor to load up for spirited check.. 3 f for 4g.. check..

Downside 2 chi and 1 ph but no one for 4 g is perfect..

Also if you plan to fight a lot destined is really good but resilient is often over looked.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:29 pm

I completely forgot about Jengzan! I guess it's because I usually keep the cavalry filter on when I search through Oracle.

I just wish he had 2 PH, that's the only downside he has in my opinion.

Kotei Season 2015:
Top 8 Columbia, SC
Top 8 Richmond, VA
1st Place Matthews, NC

kempy
Ji-Samurai

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:37 am

Hmm, as people, becasue of your sensei, won't defend on other provinces i think that Determined Challenge should work fine.
Ratling • Nonhuman • One Tribe • Cavalry • Nametaker

• Information