GenCon 2018

The place to post your new ideas for decks or decks you have been working on for competitive play that have not seen play in large tournament.

Moderators: Shinjo Dalu, Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Magistrates

Ide Isha
Ashigaru

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:11 am

We haven't had much on this page, but it does look like the spam bots have been reigned in so I thought it would be a good time to get more thoughts from our players in regards to GenCon.

Unlike last year. We now have 3 Core Sets, the Imperial cycle, a Phoenix pack (which gave us the lovely Nergüi), and the first 4 packs of the Elemental cycle where we finally saw the boost to our dynasty decks we've been needing.

It seems the competitive players are preaching Hawk Tattoo will be everywhere in GenCon this year. However, our clan excels at movement tricks and seem to be the least worried by this new Dragon card. I also think it's being overrated as a card, but in playing online I think CtM will be more common. Anyway, Ide Yesugei suggested posting on here for easier tracking of deck discussion/tracking and I agree. So without further ado, here is my current list for GenCon.

GenCon Ashes
by: Ide Isha

Stronghold: Golden Plains Outpost (Core)
Role: Keeper of Void

Dynasty Deck (40)
Character (33)
3 Battle Maiden Recruit (The Fires Within)
3 Moto Youth (Core)
2 Utaku Infantry (Core)
3 Border Rider (Core)
3 Meishōdō Wielder (Core)
2 Shinjo Scout (Meditations on the Ephemeral)
2 Giver of Gifts (Core)
3 Master of the Swift Waves (The Ebb and Flow)
3 Moto Nergüi (Disciples of the Void)
2 Kudaka (Breath of the Kami)
2 Moto Horde (Core)
3 Shinjo Shono (Breath of the Kami)
2 Shinjo Altansarnai (Core)

Holding (7)
3 Shiotome Encampment (Breath of the Kami)
1 The Imperial Palace (The Chrysanthemum Throne)
3 Windswept Yurt (Tears of Amaterasu)

Conflict Deck (40)
Attachment (15)
2 Seal of the Unicorn (Meditations on the Ephemeral)
3 Cloud the Mind (Core)
2 Finger of Jade (Tears of Amaterasu)
3 Invocation of Ash (The Fires Within)
3 Spyglass (Core)
2 Talisman of the Sun (Meditations on the Ephemeral)

Character (7)
1 Ancient Master (Breath of the Kami)
3 Iuchi Wayfinder (Core)
3 Tattooed Wanderer (Core)

Event (18)
1 Assassination (Core)
3 Banzai! (Core)
2 Captive Audience (Core)
2 Censure (Into the Forbidden City)
3 Let Go (Core)
2 Way of the Unicorn (Core)
3 Charge! (Core)
2 Cavalry Reserves (Core)

Province Deck (5)
1 Border Fortress (Tainted Lands)
1 Meditations on the Tao (Core)
1 Rally to the Cause (Core)
1 Shameful Display (Core)
1 Upholding Authority (Tainted Lands)

Deck Built using https://www.bushibuilder.com (https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/? ... d&public=y)

I will be playing on Thursday, but with work and travel, I'm not going to have much testing I can get in before then. If anyone is able or wants to grind this list against either potential decks we'll be seeing at GenCon, I would appreciate it. Feedback I'm looking for is against Dragon, Skorpion, and Crab as I think those are our worst match-ups in that order. Of course, any gameplay feedback is appreciated.

In regards to my splash. I'd rather have the flexibility of TW vs Hawk Tattoo. If I'm spending a fate (which the conflict is full of 1 costers), then I'd rather give my guys covert to break a SH or the unexpected body to win a conflict and break a province/SH. Also, there is the psychological effect that players will assume I play HT when they see Dragon splash and over commit conflicts to play around it.

There are a couple of slots that I'm not sure on, but this deck is pretty much 98% decided on so I'm asking for tweaks based on feedback. The prior version went 2-1 (https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/? ... d&public=y) at a local tournament. My loss to Dragon was due to Stone of Sorrows econ choke and CtM on my key characters. All 3 Let Go were in the bottom 5 cards of my conflict deck and just 1 could've turned the game around.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any games and feedback!
Tournament results:
2017 Gen Con, 4-3
2017 Worlds, 1-5
2017 Imperial Summons event, 3-0
https://thelotuspavilion.com/players/1370

Ide Isha
Ashigaru

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 am

Here's another list where the player is asking for feedback: https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/6368596 ... 6fca4/view

@Blimey on Discord if you want to give advice.
Tournament results:
2017 Gen Con, 4-3
2017 Worlds, 1-5

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:21 am

I like the ideas you represent here. I've been working mostly on Curse Decks but it looks solid.

I personally would lean more towards Endless ( as I like to encourage over commit) and Sliding in a hawk tattoo as well as the best covert is bowed guys don't block. and shameful under the box and then night raid is in play.
Also I would drop the Yurt for Favourable Ground based on hawk Tattoo being everywhere.

Good Luck at GC
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

Ide Isha
Ashigaru

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm

I love Endless in non big events, but I am always concerned with slow players or Scorpion in getting them those 2 free points. However, Air Fortress with Rally to the Cause has been pretty clutch for me. With the new SH and KoF, I'm going to go back to trying Endless again to see how it goes.

The honor gain from Yurt has saved me in more games than I can count, because I play very aggressively. During round 2 at GenCon, I defeated a lion player with HMT ending the game at 1 honor. I would've lost without the yurt, but my hope was people would see Dragon splash and assume I'm on hawk and make bad plays.

I had a great time at GenCon. However, first round was against Nick Soto (Phoenix fish boi for days) who was at the top of Swiss on Day 1A. I defeated the lion player round 2 on HMT. Then round 3 I was up against Trevor Cuba, which is an excellent Crane player. Round 4 I needed a win to make the cut, but had a mirror match. The other unicorn player had the encampment turn 1...I didn't so it was pretty easy for him break my provinces and SH.

I did go to the skirmish event on day 1A and defeated a Dragon and other lion player on HMT. My loss was against a Core set SH lion player. Finally, I played one round of the skirmish event on Saturday to get another KoF vote and played a Dragon player and won with TW being the MVP. I dropped to play in A:NR where I proceeded to go 50/50 Wins and Losses in 7 rounds of swiss.

So overall record with this deck at GenCon was 50% 4 wins and 4 losses:
Wins - 2 Dragon, 2 Lion (HMT)
Loses - 1 Phoenix, 1 Crane, 1 Lion (Core Set), and 1 Unicorn
Tournament results:
2017 Gen Con, 4-3
2017 Worlds, 1-5

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 am

Ide Isha wrote:
The honor gain from Yurt has saved me in more games than I can count, because I play very aggressively. During round 2 at GenCon, I defeated a lion player with HMT ending the game at 1 honor. I would've lost without the yurt, but my hope was people would see Dragon splash and assume I'm on hawk and make bad plays.
This is a really good insight, I like anything that encourages opponents to make bad decisions, so long as the card in its slot is also functional.

Ide Isha wrote:
I had a great time at GenCon. However, first round was against Nick Soto (Phoenix fish boi for days) who was at the top of Swiss on Day 1A. I defeated the lion player round 2 on HMT. Then round 3 I was up against Trevor Cuba, which is an excellent Crane player. Round 4 I needed a win to make the cut, but had a mirror match. The other unicorn player had the encampment turn 1...I didn't so it was pretty easy for him break my provinces and SH.

I did go to the skirmish event on day 1A and defeated a Dragon and other lion player on HMT. My loss was against a Core set SH lion player. Finally, I played one round of the skirmish event on Saturday to get another KoF vote and played a Dragon player and won with TW being the MVP. I dropped to play in A:NR where I proceeded to go 50/50 Wins and Losses in 7 rounds of swiss.

So overall record with this deck at GenCon was 50% 4 wins and 4 losses:
Wins - 2 Dragon, 2 Lion (HMT)
Loses - 1 Phoenix, 1 Crane, 1 Lion (Core Set), and 1 Unicorn
The true test.. is it fun. if its fun you will play enough reps to find what really works. I know I should look more for a solid water province but now is all about testing fire .. and to quote Homer Simpson.. I don't know what it was but fire made it good.
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

• Information